Picture credited to: Alberta Motor Association (AMA)
Virtually everyone is a road user; everyone depends on road transport for one reason or the other. Indeed, it is an indispensable part of our daily activities which
also has a high element of risk. This explains why safety consciousness is very
important for all road users.
Road safety advice refers to suggestions that can keep road users safe from danger while using the road. The tips are as follows:
1. Do not be too much in a hurry to a place, programme, or an event while using the road. Why? It is better to arrive late than to be a late man.
2. Never use the road as if it belongs to you alone. We are all road users, so put others into consideration while making use of the road.
3. Never drive recklessly on the road. If you do, it may be a short cut to your early grave.
4. Overspeeding may excite you but it kills in a split second.
5. The best way to save lives while driving is to obey traffic rules.
6. If you drink don’t drive, and if you drive don’t drink. But if you prove otherwise, you’re the most dangerous person and a big fool. Why a fool? You are not advised not to drink or drive, you are only advised not to drive when you drink because alcohol can impair your driving ability; consequently making the road unsafe for all road users. So it is only a fool that is aware of danger but still refuses to ‘keep out’.
7. You may leave home early but unforeseen circumstances may cause unnecessary delay on the road; yet, do not overspeed. It is better to lose minutes or hours than to lose lives.
8. Your driving license is not enough without your determination to drive safe always; this is a key to road safety.
9. Don’t forget to use your seat belt. Observation reveals that death occurs as a result of occupants hitting their head against the windshield or being thrown out of the vehicle or banging against vehicle parts. More so, the seat belt also helps to protect a pregnant woman and her unborn child in a car. Nevertheless, pregnant women are advised to wear the lap belt low, in such a way that it pulls downward on the pelvic bones. In other words, they should not wear it against their abdomen. In short, the seat belt still remains the number one vehicle safety device.
10. Nonetheless, it does not hurt to obey traffic rules or yield to road safety tips or advice.
Finally, it is your civic duty as a motorist or road user to make the road safe for all.