- It enables the plane to fly faster: Oftentimes the direction in which the wind blows reduces the speed of the plane and the higher a plane can fly into the sky, the lesser the air becomes; and the lesser the air becomes, the lesser the air resistance in the sky and as a result of these the plan can fly faster. Therefore, this explains why pilots fly the plane higher above the clouds.
- Unwanted threat from birds: Oftentimes birds are a major threat to planes flying at lower altitudes. There are certain altitudes that are too high for birds to penetrate and this explains why planes fly on high altitudes.
- If the desired destination for a plane is very far, it will be economical for the plane to fly at higher altitudes, this will enable it to fly at minimum fuel consumption.
- When planes fly so high above the clouds, it makes them to be free from unwanted impediments such as wind, birds etc., hence, enabling the passengers to enjoy uninterrupted flight.
- For safety reason, pilots prefer to fly at high altitude of 6.62 miles, above the sea level. For instance, if any problem that can be fixed with time occurs in the plane, causing the plane to descend, with such height, the pilots may have some time to quickly fix the problem. But if the plane flies at lower altitude the pilots may not have enough time to fix the problem of the descending plane and it may lead to a plane crash.
The aviation industry is still playing a leading role in the movement of people and cargo in both long and short distance. International Civil Aviation Organization revealed that not less than 2.128 billion people travel by air transport every year. However, one may wonder why planes fly so high in the sky, here are the notable reasons, why pilots fly so high in the sky: