- It enables the plane to fly faster: Oftentimes the direction in which the wind blows reduces the speed of the plane and the higher a plane can fly into the sky, the lesser the air becomes; and the lesser the air becomes, the lesser the air resistance in the sky and as a result of these the plan can fly faster. Therefore, this explains why pilots fly the plane higher above the clouds.
- Unwanted threat from birds: Oftentimes birds are a major threat to planes flying at lower altitudes. There are certain altitudes that are too high for birds to penetrate and this explains why planes fly on high altitudes.
- If the desired destination for a plane is very far, it will be economical for the plane to fly at higher altitudes, this will enable it to fly at minimum fuel consumption.
- When planes fly so high above the clouds, it makes them to be free from unwanted impediments such as wind, birds etc., hence, enabling the passengers to enjoy uninterrupted flight.
- For safety reason, pilots prefer to fly at high altitude of 6.62 miles, above the sea level. For instance, if any problem that can be fixed with time occurs in the plane, causing the plane to descend, with such height, the pilots may have some time to quickly fix the problem. But if the plane flies at lower altitude the pilots may not have enough time to fix the problem of the descending plane and it may lead to a plane crash.
Author: peterowinje (Page 1 of 14)
The aviation industry is still playing a leading role in the movement of people and cargo in both long and short distance. International Civil Aviation Organization revealed that not less than 2.128 billion people travel by air transport every year. However, one may wonder why planes fly so high in the sky, here are the notable reasons, why pilots fly so high in the sky:
Image by: Colin Behrens from Pixabay Whenever there is the need to talk about transportation of passengers across the globe, air transport in this regard, still remains the most widely used mode. Many people choose air transport for both the journey within the country and outside the country. Air transport is reliable, efficient, comfortable, fast and more importantly it is safer. In addition, it is a mode that breaks obvious geographical barriers between two or more countries. These may explain why it remains the choice of many people for their international transport. However, let us consider U.S. Aviation to justify this fact, here are the services rendered by Air Traffic Organization (ATO), as revealed by Federal Aviation Administration:
- Federal Aviation Administration revealed that over 42, 000 planes take off every day in USA, while not less than 5, 000 planes in the sky at any point in time are monitored.
- Over 100, 000 flights are handled by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) yearly.
- Over 44, 000 planes are average daily flights managed by Federal Aviation Administration.
- Not less than 14,695 air traffic controllers are engaged.
- There are 19,622 airports in USA, with 5,092 for public airports while 14,530 are private airports
- Not less than 2,789,971 passengers fly in and out of US airports every day.
- Not less than 1 billion passengers in U.S. fly every year.
- U.S.A. Aviation generates not less than 10,600,000 jobs.
It is not enough to be an owner of a car without knowing the most necessary things that can keep your car safe for yourself and for other road users. Hence, the saying: ‘A safe car saves lives’. However, here are the most necessary tips you need to know to keep your vehicle safe while using the road:
- You must check your car fluids regularly.
- You must change your car air filter when due.
- You must be sure that your car headlamps and tail lamps are working properly.
- You must not take your tyre safety for granted.
- You must not take your car brake for granted.
- You must make your vehicle available for routine maintenance.
- You must find a good and reliable mechanic.
Increase in vehicle ownership has increased road traffic activities and the convenience for many people to travel at will at any time. Transport operation provides great support to the national economy, quality of life, national defense, rural and urban development. Proper management of road transport operations by the fleet manager is not only significant in saving the cost of operations, but also reduces the high accident rate that is likely caused by poor transport management. Road transport operations are determined by transport demand for different types of goods produced by different industries and the need for each individual to move from one area to another. However, efficient operations in road transportation is key to the growth and profitability of many industries in any given country. Nevertheless, here are the classes of road transport operations:
- Short Distance Transport Operation
- Long Distance Transport Operation
- National Transport Operation
- International Transport Operation.
Road accident is one of the major dangerous occurrences with great magnitude affecting the social and economic prosperity of a nation. The lives of many innocent road users have been lost in road accidents, many others sustained permanent injury while many others involved in road accidents suffered financial loss and damages. For instance, in 2013, about 54 million people in the world sustained injury from road accidents (Wikipedia). However, it is sad and important to know that road accidents are caused by human errors, yet there are motorists or drivers who were involved in road accidents caused by errors of other road users or motorists. Such are victims of accident by circumstance; they are the drivers that found themselves in road accidents beyond their control. These drivers are not at fault at any point in time, they did not overlook the traffic rules, and they are just victims of road accidents by the virtue of their presence at the scene of the accident caused by the error of someone else. Road rage exhibited by some motorists has caused many innocent drivers to be victims of road accident. It is painful and highly unacceptable to see an innocent driver who obeys traffic rules and also maintains safety consciousness while making use of the road to be a victim of road accident caused by another driver’s error. For instance, the statistics from National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Auto Vantage revealed that 66% of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving. I use this medium to advise all motorists to be safety conscious and to think twice each time the need arises to make safety decisions while driving on the road, because it is morally unacceptable in any part of the world to make innocent, law abiding road users victims of road accident due to the error of another man. It is, therefore, much important to get home safely than to make an innocent man a victim of unwanted road accident.
The utility value for motorbike explains why millions of people around the world at large make use of motorcycles for their mobility. Its ability to access most rural areas with poor road infrastructures also explains the wide use of the two-wheel vehicle in our environment. However, the following are features that make a motorcycle full of fun: It is faster Some motorbikes are designed with exceptional speed that make them move faster on the road. In addition, the size of the motorcycle also makes it possible for the cyclists to manoeuvre their way out whenever there is traffic hold up. It is less expensive The price of purchasing a motorbike is less expensive when you compare it with the price of a car. The pride of owning a motorbike with lesser amount of money makes it popular. It is easy to maintain Purchasing a vehicle is not as important as maintaining it consistently. Maintaining a car is far more expensive than maintaining a motorcycle. Fuel management One of the benefits of using a motorcycle is that it consumes lesser fuel to cover a reasonable journey when you compare it with a motor vehicle, since it has greater fuel economy. Hence, many motorcyclists judiciously use their fuel to cover reasonably long journeys, and this is what motorcyclists enjoy when they make use of the two-wheel vehicle, they spend lesser amount of money on fuel. It is flexible The ability to use a motorcycle in different roads that are not motorable or accessible to other vehicles is another benefit of owning a motorcycle. The owner enjoys the ability to access different places that are difficult to access by car. US Department of Transportation revealed that the number of fatalities of vehicle per mile travelled was 37 times higher for motorbike than motor car. In other words, there’s high number of death in road accident involving motorbikes per mile covered, far more than motor cars. No matter how much fun a ride is, let it be known to you that you are not safe when you ride a bike, so don’t throw safety to the winds when you ride.
Motorcycle or motorbike is a machine with two wheels that is used to move limited number of two people from one location to another with the attachment of small size space to carry goods. The risk associated with the use of motorcycles cannot be overemphasized, in fact, riding motorcycles on public roads is a great risk. For instance, the Department of Transportation in Illinois, USA, revealed in 2011 that there were 3,756 motorcycle crashes which claimed the lives of 145 motorcyclists while 3,020 cyclists were injured. The use of motorcycles is becoming more popular these days, most especially in Africa where millions of people who are financially unable to buy and maintain a car or vehicle buy a motorcycle for their mobility. ‘Easy to maintain’ as benefit of using a motorcycle and its flexibility also contribute to its wide use around the world. Several people in rural areas where good roads are not available, prefer the use of motorcycles because of its flexibility. Despite its popularity as a means of transport around the world, this is not enough to deny the fact that motorbike is the most dangerous overland transport that has claimed the lives of many people in road accidents while many others have sustained permanent injuries caused by motorbike accidents. However, here are the dangerous features of motorbikes: It exposes the users to any minor accident The use of motorbike lacks personal safety for the users; the users are exposed to any potential impact while they make use of the road. Any time there’s an accident, the motorbike operators have no visible object that can protect them in such a time. This explains why road accidents involving motorbikes are always serious if not fatal. It exposes the users to any form of severe weather conditions The users of motorbikes are also not protected from harsh weather conditions such as rain, hot weather, harmattan, violent wind, dust and fire. They are exposed to all kinds of weather conditions that can adversely affect their health. Unsuitable for family mobility Due to limited space for passengers, motorbike is not the best transport means for family mobility or a group of people. Overloading of passengers on a motorbike is dangerous. Motorbike an easy reach for thieves Men of the underworld often find it much easier to steal motorbikes with little time and effort. The cases of stolen motorbikes are more common these days than stolen vehicles. Aggressive motorists can easily override motorbike operators Since motorbike operators and motorists share the same road, hence, the motorbike operator’s right of using the road can be overridden with impunity by an angry motorist while using the road. So, oftentimes motorbikes are at the mercy of the motorist. Conclusion Riding a motorbike can be fun and interesting but the personal safety of the user is more important. Riding a motorbike is not 100 per cent safe for the user, it is the most dangerous overland transport. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that 80% of motorbike accidents result in either permanent injury or death. Therefore, when you ride, be safety conscious.
The electric vehicle is becoming more popular these days in developed countries. Most developed nations now allow and encourage the use of plug-in-electric vehicles instead of conventional vehicles that pollute the environment, for instance, the global successive sales of plug-in electric vehicles reached 5 million in 2018. (Wikipedia) Many users of electric vehicle find it more economical than the conventional vehicle which has high cost of maintenance. Here are some countries that allow the use of electric vehicles: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States. (Wikipedia) There is no gainsaying that, electric vehicles are used in many nations, though they are expensive, yet they are cost effective and easier to maintain than conventional vehicles and more importantly, they are safer for our environment.
- The Pan-American Highway
- Australia’s Highway 1
- Trans-Siberian Highway in Russia
- Trans-Canada Highway in Canada
- The Golden Quadrilateral Highway in India
Electric cars are the vehicles that rely on rechargeable battery as source of energy instead of fuel as we have in the conventional car. Since the discovery and advent of electric cars, notable improvements have been made to make electric vehicles more efficient and suitable than the conventional car. It is also important to note that these days, there is an increase in the number of electric cars used in the world due to the huge benefits the users enjoy with electric vehicles. Benefits of Electric Automobile
- The operation cost is low because recharging a battery is cheaper when compared with the much money spent on fuel, engine oil, brake oil, etc. that are consumed by conventional vehicles.
- The maintenance cost is low when you compare it to conventional car with internal combustion engine.
- It is environmental friendly. The electric vehicle helps to reduce carbon emission into the air.
- It reduces the likely health problems that are often caused by petrol and diesel powered vehicles.
- Electric automobile is designed in the interest of road safety when you compare it to fuel or diesel powered vehicles, e.g. fire explosion.
- It reduces high dependence on imported diesel or petrol.
- The fully recharged battery may power the vehicle longer than refueling the conventional car.
- The electric car is more efficient than the conventional car.