Modern Event Data Recorder which is popularly known as Black Box is now installed in cars these days; new cars in the UK and the US now come with an installed black box. In a bid to reduce road accidents, car manufacturers now equip their new cars with a functional Black box.
The device shows when, where and how a car is being driven at a particular time. It gives detailed information and also serves as a feedback to the driver and any other third party. It warns the driver by giving alerts if pre-set parameters are exceeded, e.g. when over speeding.
It helps the new drivers, most especially the young drivers, to be more safety conscious while driving on the road, having realized that their driving behaviors can be monitored by a device installed in their vehicle; hence, they resist the temptation to over-speed or being influenced by their colleagues.
The black box device can monitor drivers’ behaviors in the following ways:
*The beginning and the end of a journey
*the use of seat belt
However, the following are the benefits of the black box installed in a car:
- It is inexpensive. Most cars, these days in the UK and the US, come with car black box.
- Once it is installed in a car, it will continue to monitor the driving behaviors of the driver which may be difficult to observe by any other means.
- It can show how a particular car is being used which may be difficult to obtain by any other means.
- In case of an accident, it gives more objective, accurate and detailed information a few minutes before the incident.
- It is the best tool for employers to monitor and assess their drivers.
- It is a vital tool for improving safety and reducing risk and crash rates.
- It is a way to help young and new drivers to improve their driving behaviors.
- It also helps insurance companies to reduce traffic accidents by promoting safe driving through black box insurance.
- Stolen vehicles can be recovered. This is so because some of the black boxes have in-built GPS, which means your car can be tracked if reported stolen. Some boxes have the capacity to stop the ignition.
- Since the black box can provide accurate and detailed information few minutes before an accident, this will fast-track a claims process from insurance companies, wherefore serving as a reward for a good driver.
- It can serve as a vital research tool for researchers to gather as many data as possible on real-life and natural driving behaviors of many drivers and to determine the effects on drivers’ behaviors.
- It can provide data that can help the road safety or highway authorities to easily identify problem locations on their road network.
- Speeding has been identified as one of the leading factors of road accidents. However, with the introduction of the black box technology that enables the insurance companies to come up with Pay-AS- You-Drive policy in the US which means a financial incentive will be given to a good driver, this insurance policy has effectively reduced speed among young drivers, thereby reducing the accident rates that are likely caused by over speeding.
- It helps both the new and young drivers to correct their mistakes.
- It gives alerts if pre-set parameters are exceeded e.g. when over-speeding.
5 Most Notable Limitations of a Car Black Box
- It cannot measure or help to keep a safe distance.
- It cannot prevent dangers; it can only record the data before thedangers occur.
- It cannot tell you who is driving, no matter how safe you are in driving. If somebody else with bad behavior in driving drives your car, this will affect your records because the device cannot tell us or identify who is driving the car at a particular time.
- It only highlights a problem without providing an answer. For instance, when the feedback indicates: “unsafe driving” it will not show you the area of your driving that is not safe
- The audible alert may distract the driver.