- They prepare and print each flight paperwork that contains all needed information for the crew to operate. This printed paperwork is known as flight release which includes flight plans, passenger lists, flight fuel, flight route, weather reports, among others.
- They help to predict the weather condition and prevent flights from unfavourable and unsafe weather condition.
- Flight dispatchers have 50% legal responsibility of every dispatch flight safety. They have the authority to disallow a flight ready for dispatch, if the safety condition is not satisfactory, after the pre-flight safety and maintenance checks have been carried out. Therefore, they have the authority to review the flight crew and concentrate on maximizing efficiency with safety in view.
- They monitor the current flights in the sky while planning for new flights to come on board.
- They critically examine the state or condition of aircraft with respect to aviation industry laws, so as to make a very clear and obvious decision on the safety condition of an aircraft, as to whether it’s safe or not for a particular trip.
- They carefully plan for the fuel that an aircraft will need to complete any given trip or journey.
- They also collaborate with load planners to carefully plan the cargo for each aircraft and ensure that the loading is done in accordance with the given instructions.
Author: peterowinje (Page 1 of 14)
A flight dispatcher is an important element of the aviation industry that supports smooth flight operation. It is a notable department that ensures maximum safety for flight operations in the airline business and regular exercise of flying an aircraft. In some countries, flight dispatchers are called airline dispatchers, flight operations officers or flight followers. Whichever name they are known for in your country is secondary, the primary concern in this article is the effective roles of flight dispatchers. However, below are the special activities of flight dispatchers:
There is a little foe that must be prevented in the aviation industry, it is an enemy of any given flight any day or any time. Having considered the above caption, I guess one may wonder what this little foe is. It is a rat! It is the little foe that can cause great damage to a plane. Oftentimes, no one understands or can explain how and when this little foe gets into an aircraft and once it is sighted, no one takes it for granted, no matter how small it appears. It is dangerous enough to cause havoc on a flying plane. For instance, an airplane AI-952 was set to take off from Hyderabad to Visakhapatnam when a rat (the little foe) was sighted in the airplane. However, the plane was delayed for nearly 12 hours at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport according to the Deccan Chronicle. More so, a plane was delayed several hours when a rat was sighted on board, the plane was scheduled to travel from Amritar to Toronto and the journey was rescheduled for another plane. In addition, a plane known as Loong Air’s flight DJ8823 in China was set to fly from Hangzhou to Bijie and shortly after taking off, a rat was discovered in the cabin. Hence, the cabin crew had no other choice than to fly back to Hangzhou International Airport where another passenger plane was scheduled for their flight to Bijie Feixiong Airport. Furthermore, a passenger plane, Air Canada AC888 with 205 people on board, was set to travel from Canada to London Heathrow when a flier sighted a rat in an overhead locker. As a result of this incident, the flight captain asked all the fliers to come out of the said plane, in order to allow the pest control team to fish out the rat. Unfortunately, the rat was not found, hence, the flight was aborted and the passengers were delayed for the night while another airplane was scheduled for the journey. Truly speaking, there are other cases where evidence of a rat’s presence in a plane has caused the plane to stay longer on the land than expected. This unwanted situation of a rat’s presence in a plane is high risk to the health and safety of all passengers or fliers on board. Therefore, the need to establish a reliable, regular servicing programme by the aviation industry to ensure that every passenger plane or aircraft is free from rat presence, probably through fumigation and disinfection before allowing it to set on a journey, is not in doubt. Why Rat Presence in an Aircraft is Dangerous The rat’s quest for food and shelter are basically reasons why they are found in a plane. One of the rat’s natural habits is to hide itself in unsuspected spots and thereafter cause serious damage through its natural inherent sense to consume any consumable item such as cables, wire, food, etc. It can also damage boxes, parcels, etc. It can as well be an agent carrier of diseases and parasites to both man and animal. These explain why it is an undesirable element in the airplane. Its size may appear so small and featherweight, but its presence in a plane is more than enough to cause a plane crash or to ground and delay a flight for several hours. Indeed, it’s undesirable element in any given flight.
- The type of airplane.
- The distance to a desired destination.
- The type of the engine in the plane.
- The strength of the prevailing wind.
- The weight of the plane.
- The aviation law.
- The flight dispatchers.
- For emergency reasons: When a pilot flies a plane higher than the normal altitude, it will take a longer time for the pilot to return the plane to a safe altitude. When an unexpected dangerous situation occurs that calls for immediate action, bringing the plane down to a safe altitude may be difficult, if not impossible.
- The weight of the plane: The weight of the airplane determines the extent to which the plane can fly into the sky. The more the weight of the airplane, the more difficult it is for such plane to fly at a higher altitude.
- Shortage of fuel: The higher a plane flies beyond its normal altitude, the more fuel it burns to get there. This will definitely reduce the available fuel meant for the trip. You can imagine how dangerous it will be to fly a plane without enough fuel.
- Inadequate oxygen: When the airplane flies much higher, there is inadequate oxygen to fuel the engine.
- Every management of any given organization is not expected to run at a loss, they are expected to make profit for sustainability. Flying a plane above the clouds consumes a lot of fuel. However, flying a plane above the clouds for short destinations is not economical; it means the airliner will be spending so much money on fuel, which will increase the overhead cost.
The aviation industry is still playing a leading role in the movement of people and cargo in both long and short distance. International Civil Aviation Organization revealed that not less than 2.128 billion people travel by air transport every year. However, one may wonder why planes fly so high in the sky, here are the notable reasons, why pilots fly so high in the sky:
- It enables the plane to fly faster: Oftentimes the direction in which the wind blows reduces the speed of the plane and the higher a plane can fly into the sky, the lesser the air becomes; and the lesser the air becomes, the lesser the air resistance in the sky and as a result of these the plan can fly faster. Therefore, this explains why pilots fly the plane higher above the clouds.
- Unwanted threat from birds: Oftentimes birds are a major threat to planes flying at lower altitudes. There are certain altitudes that are too high for birds to penetrate and this explains why planes fly on high altitudes.
- If the desired destination for a plane is very far, it will be economical for the plane to fly at higher altitudes, this will enable it to fly at minimum fuel consumption.
- When planes fly so high above the clouds, it makes them to be free from unwanted impediments such as wind, birds etc., hence, enabling the passengers to enjoy uninterrupted flight.
- For safety reason, pilots prefer to fly at high altitude of 6.62 miles, above the sea level. For instance, if any problem that can be fixed with time occurs in the plane, causing the plane to descend, with such height, the pilots may have some time to quickly fix the problem. But if the plane flies at lower altitude the pilots may not have enough time to fix the problem of the descending plane and it may lead to a plane crash.
Image by: Colin Behrens from Pixabay Whenever there is the need to talk about transportation of passengers across the globe, air transport in this regard, still remains the most widely used mode. Many people choose air transport for both the journey within the country and outside the country. Air transport is reliable, efficient, comfortable, fast and more importantly it is safer. In addition, it is a mode that breaks obvious geographical barriers between two or more countries. These may explain why it remains the choice of many people for their international transport. However, let us consider U.S. Aviation to justify this fact, here are the services rendered by Air Traffic Organization (ATO), as revealed by Federal Aviation Administration:
- Federal Aviation Administration revealed that over 42, 000 planes take off every day in USA, while not less than 5, 000 planes in the sky at any point in time are monitored.
- Over 100, 000 flights are handled by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) yearly.
- Over 44, 000 planes are average daily flights managed by Federal Aviation Administration.
- Not less than 14,695 air traffic controllers are engaged.
- There are 19,622 airports in USA, with 5,092 for public airports while 14,530 are private airports
- Not less than 2,789,971 passengers fly in and out of US airports every day.
- Not less than 1 billion passengers in U.S. fly every year.
- U.S.A. Aviation generates not less than 10,600,000 jobs.
It is not enough to be an owner of a car without knowing the most necessary things that can keep your car safe for yourself and for other road users. Hence, the saying: ‘A safe car saves lives’. However, here are the most necessary tips you need to know to keep your vehicle safe while using the road:
- You must check your car fluids regularly.
- You must change your car air filter when due.
- You must be sure that your car headlamps and tail lamps are working properly.
- You must not take your tyre safety for granted.
- You must not take your car brake for granted.
- You must make your vehicle available for routine maintenance.
- You must find a good and reliable mechanic.
Increase in vehicle ownership has increased road traffic activities and the convenience for many people to travel at will at any time. Transport operation provides great support to the national economy, quality of life, national defense, rural and urban development. Proper management of road transport operations by the fleet manager is not only significant in saving the cost of operations, but also reduces the high accident rate that is likely caused by poor transport management. Road transport operations are determined by transport demand for different types of goods produced by different industries and the need for each individual to move from one area to another. However, efficient operations in road transportation is key to the growth and profitability of many industries in any given country. Nevertheless, here are the classes of road transport operations:
- Short Distance Transport Operation
- Long Distance Transport Operation
- National Transport Operation
- International Transport Operation.
Road accident is one of the major dangerous occurrences with great magnitude affecting the social and economic prosperity of a nation. The lives of many innocent road users have been lost in road accidents, many others sustained permanent injury while many others involved in road accidents suffered financial loss and damages. For instance, in 2013, about 54 million people in the world sustained injury from road accidents (Wikipedia). However, it is sad and important to know that road accidents are caused by human errors, yet there are motorists or drivers who were involved in road accidents caused by errors of other road users or motorists. Such are victims of accident by circumstance; they are the drivers that found themselves in road accidents beyond their control. These drivers are not at fault at any point in time, they did not overlook the traffic rules, and they are just victims of road accidents by the virtue of their presence at the scene of the accident caused by the error of someone else. Road rage exhibited by some motorists has caused many innocent drivers to be victims of road accident. It is painful and highly unacceptable to see an innocent driver who obeys traffic rules and also maintains safety consciousness while making use of the road to be a victim of road accident caused by another driver’s error. For instance, the statistics from National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Auto Vantage revealed that 66% of traffic fatalities are caused by aggressive driving. I use this medium to advise all motorists to be safety conscious and to think twice each time the need arises to make safety decisions while driving on the road, because it is morally unacceptable in any part of the world to make innocent, law abiding road users victims of road accident due to the error of another man. It is, therefore, much important to get home safely than to make an innocent man a victim of unwanted road accident.
The utility value for motorbike explains why millions of people around the world at large make use of motorcycles for their mobility. Its ability to access most rural areas with poor road infrastructures also explains the wide use of the two-wheel vehicle in our environment. However, the following are features that make a motorcycle full of fun: It is faster Some motorbikes are designed with exceptional speed that make them move faster on the road. In addition, the size of the motorcycle also makes it possible for the cyclists to manoeuvre their way out whenever there is traffic hold up. It is less expensive The price of purchasing a motorbike is less expensive when you compare it with the price of a car. The pride of owning a motorbike with lesser amount of money makes it popular. It is easy to maintain Purchasing a vehicle is not as important as maintaining it consistently. Maintaining a car is far more expensive than maintaining a motorcycle. Fuel management One of the benefits of using a motorcycle is that it consumes lesser fuel to cover a reasonable journey when you compare it with a motor vehicle, since it has greater fuel economy. Hence, many motorcyclists judiciously use their fuel to cover reasonably long journeys, and this is what motorcyclists enjoy when they make use of the two-wheel vehicle, they spend lesser amount of money on fuel. It is flexible The ability to use a motorcycle in different roads that are not motorable or accessible to other vehicles is another benefit of owning a motorcycle. The owner enjoys the ability to access different places that are difficult to access by car. US Department of Transportation revealed that the number of fatalities of vehicle per mile travelled was 37 times higher for motorbike than motor car. In other words, there’s high number of death in road accident involving motorbikes per mile covered, far more than motor cars. No matter how much fun a ride is, let it be known to you that you are not safe when you ride a bike, so don’t throw safety to the winds when you ride.